Questions About QMHI Maintenance? Contact Us
People who have limited English proficiency, including those who are deaf, have historically been limited in their ability to access mental health services. When they do obtain services, they usually require an interpreter. The quality of interpretive services has a substantial and direct bearing on the outcome of services provided and
Qualified Mental Health Interpreter Certification
Mistie Owens, Utah
Pam Hill, Georgia
Lori Erwin, Georgia
Christina Healy, Oregon
Leia Sparks, Wisconsin
Jamie Garrison, Wisconsin
Deb Walker, Georgia
Mary Beth Grayson
District of Columbia
Susan Elizabeth Rangel+
The QMHI Certification cycle runs January 1 to December 31 and you will need to submit documentation of at least 40 hours (as described in item #3 above) by December 31st each year.
QMHI Maintenance Record
Log for keeping track of hours needed to maintain QMHI certification. Download it HERE
CEU Opportunities for QMHI and QMHI-S Holders
A small compendium of possibilities. If you have ideas, submit them HERE
- A certification under Alabama State Code 580-3-23-06 is valid for twelve (12) months.
- At least ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of a qualified mental health interpreter or qualified mental health interpreter – supervisor certification, the Office of Deaf Services will mail a reminder to the interpreter with a request for submission of documentation attesting to completion of certification maintenance requirements. Failure to receive said notification does not remove the requirement that appropriate documentation be submitted to the Office of Deaf Services in a timely manner.
- An interpreter can maintain certification by submitting documentation to the Office of Deaf Services of any of the following activities.
- Working in clinical settings at least forty (40) hours in the 12 months following issuance of certification or renewal, or
- Attending forty (40) clock hours of mental health related training, or
- A combination of the above equaling forty (40) contact hours.
- An interpreter can maintain supervisory status by submitting documentation to the Office of Deaf Services of any of the following activities.
- Maintain QMHI.
- Documentation that at least 20 of for the QMHI maintenance hours (listed in #3 above) include work in clinical settings.
- Supervision of one Practicum Interpreter or documentation of at least 40 contact hours of training in: Supervision, mentoring, teaching methods, adult education.
- Participation in (a majority of) quarterly QMHI-S roundtable conference calls.
Information on Annual Maintenance of
can have life-or-death consequences when the interpretation is inaccurate. Qualified Mental Health Interpreters (QMHI) are trained to work effectively in mental health situations. Holders of QMHI certification are the best of the best.
Current Active QMHIs
Ali Ray Perrin
Debra Gorra Barash